Important BITs about BIT
BIT is a basic unit of information, first manifest of the binary code, then the beat, after that the anteroom of being and since 1999 it is a festival, the only theatrical festival in the world, whose actors are blind and visually impaired people. However, the most important bit or the most crucial bit is that the organizer of this festival is the Theatrical Company of the Blind and Visually Impaired New Life, the oldest theater of the blind in the world and the festival takes place in Zagreb, Croatian capital city.
Since the financial support to the above mentioned factory of illusions is non-systematic and barely sufficient, BIT had to agree to come to Zagreb every second year, that is, only during the uneven years. The festival welcomes autumn to Zagreb by bringing its guests the theatrical companies of blind and visually impaired people from all over the world, bringing the “light of the soul” to the city – the light which is invisible at first, but so indispensable and healthy for the spirit.
In order not to lose the track of the important bits, let us just say that BIT has become a regular part of the programs of Ministry of Culture and the City of Zagreb as well as the part of the civilization reaches of our country, just like our theatre.
If you wish to dive deeper into the important BITs, check out the festival programs or the time machine and everything will seem possible.
TO BIT, OR NOT TO BIT!
We invite you to the 11th International Theater Festival of Blind and Visually Impaired BIT (Blind in Theater), Zagreb, September 27 – October 3, 2019. Basic rules of the festival are as follows:
- At least 50% of the actors of the theatrical company that will perform at the festival must be blind or visually impaired.
- The project applied to the festival must be a feature-length theater play, with all regulated copyright.
- Performance art or any form of theatre which was the result of research connected to the theatre can be applied along with the play.
- Each group can also participate in the professional part of the festival with its own workshop, lecture or presentation.
- Those who offer a workshop without the art program cannot participate at the festival, unless otherwise agreed with the organizer.
- Smaller projects will be presented during the morning, while the feature-length plays will be performed in the evening.
- The theatrical company taking part in the festival can have up to 15 members, unless otherwise agreed with the organizer.
- The organizer will bear the costs of stay from September 27 to October 3, 2019 and the costs of performances in Zagreb, while the participants will bear the costs of travel and the transportation of scenography and costumes.
- All participants waive any fees for their performance.
- The official languages of the festival are Croatian and English, and for the professional part of the festival, we will provide translation.
- All participants are required to send the promotional material (program booklet and posters), video clip of the show, and 5 photos of the play.
- A certificate of participation at the festival must be submitted to the organizer by written means no later than April 1, and full application should be sent no later than May 1, 2019.
- All incomplete applications will be dismissed.
- The manager of the festival will verify and possibly answer positively to the applications, no later than 15 days after receiving the application.
Please fill out the attached form if you accept the invitation, and make sure your participation follows the rules mentioned above or contact us for further arrangements.